PURPOSE. We examined engagement in and satisfaction with occupational therapy self-development groups among women in a residential facility for substance dependence.
METHOD. We performed a retrospective, cross-sectional analysis of 1,488 Likert-scale surveys completed anonymously between 2006 and 2010. Descriptive statistics were used to examine client satisfaction in self-development groups. Differences in engagement by content focus and activity process were also examined by analyzing the median scores of eight self-development questions using the Kruskal–Wallis test of medians.
RESULTS. Of those who completed surveys, 73.6% strongly agreed and 23.4% agreed (collectively, 97%) that they were satisfied with the group. No significant differences (p > .05) were found in the median scores of the questions by content focus or activity process.
CONCLUSION. Self-development activity groups with salient recovery themes conceptualized within a person–environment–occupation model appear to be a satisfactory and engaging intervention for women in recovery from substance abuse.