Objectives. The purpose of our project was to develop a post-offer screening tool that demonstrates interrater reliability, predictive validity, and face validity and that accurately represents the physical demands of the patient support services (lifting team) job at our health care facility.
Methods. The screening tool, which consists of 11 static and dynamic tasks, was developed, using the 13 incumbent staff members of the patient support services department, to determine whether the criteria established for each task matched the physical abilities of at least 80% of the total group tested. Test-retest design was used for this study. Intraclass correlation coefficients and the Kappa statistic were used to calculate interrater reliability. Face validity was determined through the Job Similarity Questionnaire completed by all subjects.
Results. Subjects did not meet criteria established for the static knee pull and the knuckle-to-elbow lift tasks, resulting in modification of these two criteria. Interrater reliability ranged from .22 for the maximum static pull wall task to .94 for the left-hand grip strength task. Face validity ranged from 53.9% to 92.4%.
Conclusion. Although face validity of the Job Similarity Questionnaire represented a wide range, we believe that the results were homogeneous enough to continue with the screening tool unchanged, except for lowering the expected outcome on two tasks. Interrater reliability was established for 75% of the tasks. The lack of variation of data for the other 25% prevented statistical analysis of those tasks but confirmed that all staff members met the physical criteria.