New DEI Collection!
The American Journal of Occupational Therapy (AJOT) affirms the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) across occupational therapy research, practice, and education. We've curated a new DEI Collection of articles published in AJOT. We'll continue to add essential content to this collection to support AOTA members and the occupational therapy workforce.
Get AJOT Updates on Instagram!
Follow ajoteditor for regular research briefs and news to help translate research into clinical practice.
Never Miss an Article or Issue!
Sign up for AJOT Alerts to receive an email each time an article is published and/or an issue closes. Just click on the purple Alerts button at the top of the page, and select which Alert(s) you want to receive.
AJOT Series: Authors and Issues
What goes on behind the scenes in a research setting? Can I ask questions directly to an author? How can I find out more about a topic covered in one of AJOT’s "The Issue Is" articles?
The AJOT series Authors and Issues answers those questions, and more! Led by AJOT’s editor-in-chief, Stacey Reynolds, one article in each issue is selected for a deep dive into the content with the authors and invited guests via AJOT’s YouTube channel. The recordings are then posted to CommunOT for viewing and asynchronous discussion. Authors and guests moderate the online discussion and answer questions for one week. The recordings and discussions are archived on CommunOT.
- August 2023: Examining Patient Outcomes at a Faculty-Led Clinic for Uninsured and Underserved Clients
- July 2023: The Need for Occupational Therapist Eligibility for Formal Administrative Roles in Public School Systems
- June 2023: Early Spontaneous Movements and Sensory Processing in Preterm Infants
- May 2023: Let’s Talk About It: Addressing Microaggressions in Occupational Therapy Education
- April 2023: Ayres Sensory Integration® for Addressing Play in Autistic Children: A Multiple-Baseline Examination
- March 2023: Autism and Mental Health: The Role of Occupational Therapy
- February 2023: Using Practice-Based Inquiry to Enact Occupation-Centered, Justice-Oriented Practice in an Acute Mental Health Setting
- January 2023: Navigating Ethical Tensions When Working to Address Social Inequities
- December 2022: Meaningful Participation and Sensory Processing
- October 2022: Dr. Kristie Patten, 2022 Eleanor Clarke Slagle lectureship recipient, discusses strength-based approaches.
- September 2022: Linking Antiracist Action From the Classroom to Practice
Now Accepting Applications for AJOT Associate Editors!
AJOT invites candidates to apply for open Associate Editor positions with the journal. This is a volunteer position. Learn about the role of Associate Editor and how to apply by visiting the AJOT Editorial Board page. The deadline to apply is October 15, 2023.
Resources for Reviewers
Resources for Authors
If you are considering submitting an article for publication in AJOT, be sure to review our Author Guidelines prior to submission.
Call for Papers
AJOT publishes special issues on topics of interest to the profession. Authors considering a submission for a special issue should first contact the issue guest editor. Be sure to regularly visit our current Call for Papers for more information.
Learn more about tested treatment strategies by reading AJOT articles in your area of practice. Become an evidence-based practitioner and demonstrate your knowledge by passing a continuing education (CE) course exam. Articles are selected for their relevance to practice, strong evidence supporting treatment, and the distinct value of occupational therapy. For more information on CE and professional development resources to advance your career and meet your certification and licensure requirements, visit the AOTA Store.
Explore Our Special Collections!
AJOT maintains several special collections of evidence-based content that has published in the journal. Be sure to explore each collection.
Explore COVID-19 Case Applications in AOTA's Everyday Evidence Podcast Series
AOTA's Everyday Evidence podcast series includes a three-part COVID-19 case application series featuring interviews with frontline OT practitioners about their care experiences during the global pandemic and the case applications they developed. Episode 1 discusses a critical care case application, Episode 2 covers an outpatient care example, and Episode 3 features a pediatric care example. The full COVID-19 case applications are available Open Access in AJOT's special COVID Supplement (Volume 75, Issue Supplement 1).