Your first source for research to support evidence-based occupational therapy practice.
New DEI Collection!
The American Journal of Occupational Therapy (AJOT) affirms the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) across occupational therapy research, practice, and education. We've curated a new DEI Collection of articles published in AJOT. We'll continue to add essential content to this collection to support AOTA members and the occupational therapy workforce.
Get AJOT Updates on Instagram!
Follow ajoteditor for regular research briefs and news to help translate research into clinical practice.
Never Miss an Article or Issue!
Sign up for AJOT Alerts to receive an email each time an article is published and/or an issue closes. Just click on the purple Alerts button at the top of the page, and select which Alert(s) you want to receive.
AJOT Series: Authors and Issues
What goes on behind the scenes in a research setting? Can I ask questions directly to an author? How can I find out more about a topic covered in one of AJOT’s "The Issue Is" articles?
The AJOT series Authors and Issues answers those questions, and more! Led by AJOT’s editor-in-chief, Stacey Reynolds, one article in each issue is selected for a deep dive into the content with the authors and invited guests via AJOT’s YouTube channel. The recordings are then posted to CommunOT for viewing and asynchronous discussion. Authors and guests moderate the online discussion and answer questions for one week. The recordings and discussions are archived on CommunOT.
- February 2023: Using Practice-Based Inquiry to Enact Occupation-Centered, Justice-Oriented Practice in an Acute Mental Health Setting
- January 2023: Navigating Ethical Tensions When Working to Address Social Inequities
- December 2022: Meaningful Participation and Sensory Processing
- October 2022: Dr. Kristie Patten, 2022 Eleanor Clarke Slagle lectureship recipient, discusses strength-based approaches.
- September 2022: Linking Antiracist Action From the Classroom to Practice
- August 2022: Lifestyle Redesign®
- July 2022: Predictors of Burnout in OT Practitioners
- June 2022: Deliberate Death as an Occupation: The Issue Is . . .
- May 2022: Habit Formation to Reduce Frailty Risk Factors
- April 2022: Occupational Therapy in an Ecological Context
- March 2022: Sleep and Veterans
Resources for Reviewers
AJOT offers resources to help new reviewers provide constructive critiques. Learn what's involved in peer review and how to become an AJOT reviewer.
Resources for Authors
If you are considering submitting an article for publication in AJOT, be sure to review our Author Guidelines prior to submission.
Call for Papers
AJOT publishes special issues on topics of interest to the profession. Our current Call for Papers focus on Recovery of Function After Acquired Neurological Injury (deadline April 1, 2023) and Play in Occupational Therapy (deadline May 1, 2023).
Explore COVID-19 Case Applications in AOTA's Everyday Evidence Podcast Series
AOTA's Everyday Evidence podcast series includes a three-part COVID-19 case application series featuring interviews with frontline OT practitioners about their care experiences during the global pandemic and the case applications they developed. Episode 1 discusses a critical care case application, Episode 2 covers an outpatient care example, and Episode 3 features a pediatric care example. The full COVID-19 case applications are available in AJOT's special COVID Supplement (Volume 75, Issue Supplement 1, July/August 2021).